Our aim is to encourage and support people of all abilities and standards of running, from the ‘fun’ runner to the ‘elite’ athlete.
Membership is open to all levels of runners
There are many benefits to joining Galway City Harriers. These include:
- The opportunity to train with runners of the same level.
- Access to a wealth of training knowledge and expertise to help achieve personal running goals.
- The safety of running in a group
- Nutritional advice and information.
- Strength and conditioning classes.
- To meet new people.
- Special guest speakers and seminars.
- Full access to training plans, 5km, 10km, half marathon and marathon (ideal for all levels inc beginners).
- Information on how to improve running style and technique.
- Includes membership to Athletics Ireland which provides a comprehensive programme of competition for all age levels from Juvenile to Master and access to coaching courses.
- To help promote the sport of running in Galway
We welcome all levels of runner
We encourage adults who are interested in joining us to come along and see how we operate and participate in one or two sessions before committing themselves to joining. If you’re interested why not come along to one of the sessions – see training page for details. This is a good way to get to meet people from the club.
Am I good enough to come along?
If you are an absolute beginner (just started or never having run before) then you should come along to our Fit4Life sessions on Monday and Thursday evenings, 7pm Westside Library Carpark on Seamus Quirke Road. Absolute beginners are only taken at certain times in the year so please ring Fit4Life Leader Bernie Kelly 087-7504066 before you come along. We will be able to give you a starting programme which will get you to a basic level from which you will be able to join in the Monday session.
If you’re an established runner come down to the Tuesday track session or Sunday Cathedral run.
If you fall in between the above categories then come along and we’ll help you get up to running with us.
Most runners coming along for the first time at the club have the expectation that they will be too slow, too old, too fat or just generally not up to joining a running club. In virtually all cases this is untrue. We are beginning to work at dispelling the belief that all running clubs are just for elite runners. We have a wide range of ages (18 to 70+), speeds, shapes and we have a 60:40 male:female split.
If you like us, join in the fun, and feel the benefit
When you decide to join, you can do so by completing the online membership application form linked here. We hope that you will start to enjoy the benefits of our regular club runs.
If you can’t use the online membership form please get in touch with the GCH Membership Secretary: email@example.com